Sunday, August 5, 2012

Parisian Chic Meets American Country


While on my annual ten day vacation to Vermont I made the ritual stop at North Inc. 127 college street Burlington Vermont. I do not have a country home but this shop year in and out makes me wish I did. Bennington potters North Inc. is an eclectic mix of folk art, Parisian chic meets down home American country. The collections range from hand forged pottery to hand dyed and trimmed textiles to blown milk glasses.

One of the many things I love about this shop is the comprehensive selection. Available is almost every accessory and cookery item one would need to showcase a beautiful assortment of country finery. Today I purchased three interior framed, aged rooster paintings; they are rustic, artsy and chic (not an easy combination to nail). I also purchased carafes with their own baskets. These fun accessories reminded me of the carafes the French use to serve their table wines and water (one and the same it seems in Paris). I could not resist owning one myself and purchased another for our hosts in Paris. I also acquired a print by a local artist, Dug Nap. The print itself is lovely but the hand written caption above the rustic outdoor scene reads: "Hey, it’s a beautiful day". My 2 year old wakes every morning to proclaim the same sentiment. Obviously I had to have it.

The greeting card section of North Inc. is very small relative to the rest of the store but outstanding none the less. I procured several cards. Most likely I will keep the cards themselves but copy the sentiments on stationary I hand make. Here are a few of my favorites:

“How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” (Satchel Paige)
“Life is a great big canvas. Throw all the paint on it you can.” (Danny Kayne)

Referring to having a baby…..” No more life in the fast lane….welcome to warp speed.”

If you find yourself in Burlington Vermont and you have any interest in home décor regardless of your style or sensibility check out bennington potters NORTH INC.
802-863-2221


After a successful shopping excursion make sure to replenish at my favorite street side cafe, Leunigs Bistro at 115 Church Street www.leunigs.com


No comments:

Post a Comment